Monday, December 5, 2016

EVENT #1

On October 1st and 2nd 2016 I received a scholarship from my boss to go to an Acrobatics Arts Module One Training Program for children ages 5-12. The training was in Massachusetts and I had to drive up there on my own. This was my first Dance Education Training experience on my own and I was feeling nervous. I was the youngest one in my session and was feeling like everyone was judging me. It turned out to be one of the best weekends and experiences in my training thus far. I learned new techniques on how to teach, safety regulations, and fun activities to peak the children's interest. The weekend was super fun and informative. Not only did we get the chance to work directly with youth in classes we got to practice skills of our own. We learned creative ways to engage children in classes while letting them be free and having fun. I think being a dance teacher is a lot like being a youth worker because we are seen in more of a "fun and engaging" way as opposed to teachers. We had to take two exams. One written, and one performance on how well we incorporated safety regulations in our spotting and helping youth. 

Youth work and teaching dance have a lot of similar qualities that I haven't realized until now. I have always had the same passion for both and never fully feel like I am "working" when I am doing youth work. This training helped me better my skills in an area I do not always feel is my strong suit. I was fortunate enough to have my boss be supportive enough to push me and pay for me to go to a training like this. I never would have gone if it wasn't for her. 



No comments:

Post a Comment