Tuesday, September 13, 2016

In A World Where Youth Hold The Power

YIA is a Providence based nonprofit after school program that gives children the chance to speak their minds in a safe and open community. YIA is an organization that helps children in ways a "classroom" setting cannot. It helps give children a voice in topics that may seem unconventional to others. (Such as sex, gender, teenage pregnancy,  It allows the youth to take charge of the program themselves and lead discussions and debates on topics of their choices.

One of the parts of the article that stuck with me the most was a quote from one of the YIA participants. It read, "I like that I'm part of a place where there are so many different opinions. The trust, respect, and openness make us stronger. If you disagree with a teacher, a police officer, or the mayor, or if you talk about politics, want to read a different book, or believe the rules adults have set up are a mistake, people usually don't want to hear about it. You don't have permission to disagree in other places. Because we do in here, we get a deeper understanding of one another, and then suddenly a new community program is starting or we're finding better ways to support each other."

I have been working with youth for as long as I can remember. I enjoy working with them in a nonconventional setting. I think because I work at a dance studio I get to build a strong relationship with my girls and boys because we share a common interest. We get to build connections just like those of YIA. During my last semester when we got to go to Calcutt Middle School, the two girls I worked with would talk to me about their day at school, problems they were having with friends, teachers, and family. I thought it was a good and safe way to build new relationships with them. They felt like they could come to us with their opinions and we would listen respectfully.


4 comments:

  1. I love the quote that you picked. I think it is great that YIA has created a space where youth can have healthy arguments and speak their mind and feel comfortable about what they are saying is respected and valued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you. I only wish more adults could have such healthy debates as youth seem to. Quite possibly, if this were a skill honed in school it could be better utilized as we grew older. I also love how it is a disagreement and then call to action. so they not only recognize each other's differences but then use that to integrate something beneficial to support each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both you and Lauren, if healthy debates were encouraged more within schools youth would know better how to work through difficulties and differences. Many of friends and students are afraid to stand up for themselves. If teachers would encourage students to express themselves in respectful ways through debates in class students could learn to listen to others as well as express their own thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel, I like how you incorporated a quote that you found from the reading interesting and I also liked how you share your thoughts about your own experience in the last paragraph. I think is a great a idea how you are able to incorporate your dancing with the youth community.

    ReplyDelete